Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Diggin a hole

I have had a hard time writing here lately because I have not been happy. I could be happy. I probably should be happy. But I am not happy. And I hate always being the Debbie Downer.

Adding to the melancholy, this week has decided to be my late-breaking Friday the 13th of 2008.

Monday morning one of our employees returned to our car, which she uses for work and which was parked on the street, to find out that we had been victims of a hit and run and the whole front alignment was wrecked. They hit the tire (turned away from the curb, as YD instructs, to prevent it from rolling back should it come out of gear), which caused the wheels to do a pigeon-toed kind of thing. Not drivable. Now we are waiting for it to be fixed, but the appraiser still hasn't seen it yet because yesterday was a holiday here in our fair land.

This morning I awoke to find that my dog was paralyzed. Just half of her. The left half. But she could still feel pain, just had no strength or movement. So, every time I tried to help lift her, she would nip at me or yelp or both. I managed to rig a sling using a towel, but she didn't like that, and, being only one person, I couldn't both lead her forward AND support her with the sling. I also spoke with vet and the pain meds dosage she takes for her arthritis already is the max dosage she can have for the day, so there was no relief I could give her there. She couldn't get up from wherever she was, and every time I went to do laundry or to the bathroom she would panic that I had left her and would start yelping bloody murder. Oh, and did I mention that she is also deaf? Ya, so I couldn't even call out to reassure her.

Right now she is doing much better - she can get up without help and walk around, although we're discouraging that. The vet thinks it was either some rare spinal condition or a slipped disc. I have already decided that there are no more surgeries in Gabby's future, so neither are treatable with anything but rest and pain meds. So, SB and I have to carry her in the sling up and down the stairs to take her out to avoid further injury.

Add this to my already dismal mood, and I pretty much want to crawl into a hole right now. I am very glad that she is better, but know that there will probably be much more of this in our near future because she is not a pup anymore. Right now she is laying in the hall whining and yelping because SB has taken Charlie for a walk. She can't hear me whistling at her, so I best be getting up and letting her know she's not alone.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh Jules,

I know how hard it is to have a sick pet and it's hard making those difficult decisions. But my heart goes out to you all as you're taking care of her. I hope your bad luck and ennui passes quickly, as you deserve.