Friday, August 03, 2007

The downside

Probably the greatest part about my job is that I get to hang out with tons of pets who aren't mine, but for a little slice of the day, I can pretend they are. I get to cuddle the cuddly ones, and play with the playful ones, and not have to get a special permit to have 30 animals in my home.

The downside of this is that I begin to feel like they belong to me. And then something terrible happens, and I am left devastated.

Two nights ago one of the dogs we walk was admitted to doggie ER because her owner found her collapsed when she arrived home in the evening. This morning I got word that she died in the night. She was only 4. I don't want to write details here, but I am just so sad.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I may be confessing too much here, but I typically get much more upset over the loss of an animal than a human.

It doesn't matter that they weren't *your* pet, you still have special relationships with the animals, and you have every right to be sad.

*hugs*