Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Take this job.......

As it turns out, quitting a working environment that you hate is a lot harder than you would think.

The thing about a work environment is that it contains actual people. People whom you have built relationships with, friendships, people you trust and people you admire. I couldn't wait to get out the door, but kept feeling myself pulled back cause I had to say bye to just one more person.

The weird thing is that I know I will see at least 50% of these people again, some of them frequently. But the fact that I will not be seeing them every day, and won't have them for support anymore, it's scary.

The hardest part is that this was a quick thing - I got my offer yesterday, and was given an ultimatum on Monday by my current boss (which I found extremely offensive and insulting, and made me MAD), so in a span of 24 hours I have decided not only to take on a new job, but to also leave my current job, without giving notice, so that I can have some time to clear my head of all their garbage.

And the absolute WORST thing is that I really love my team. I have worked really hard for them, and they all work SO hard for me. I felt like such a terrible person telling them that I was leaving them like this - practically abandoning them. But they all seemed to understand, or at least they told me that to my face. I think they see all the changes that are happening, and they don't feel comfortable with it themselves, so I'm sure they can imagine what I've been going through.

The BEST part is that I feel so good about finally taking control of my situation there. I know I'm not the only one there who has been trying to get ahead, and taking the knocks thrown at me, and just dealing and trying to move forward. The only thing is that it seems like for every step you take forward, if you have any kind of opinion or new ideas, you just get pushed back even further in the next change that comes about. And then you start to be bitter, and unhappy, but you can't change anything, so you just take it, but complain and are miserable all the time. I'm so proud of myself for just not taking it anymore, and even though change is scary, I'm excited at the same time.

This is by far the sappiest post ever. I apologize, and I'll try not to do it again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jules,

We are all going to miss you like crazy. But no doubt you will be happier and we'll have to get together lots more now. I'll be coming by Fairview every other day to see you.

Ems

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job Jules! I'm uber proud and i'm sure you'll have an amazing time at this new job. Mucho Lovo!

-Sara

Anonymous said...

Hey Yulie

I`m so proud of you. YAAAAY. We will all miss you terribly, but you`ll be so much happier at your new job. Aren`t you glad you won`t be working at a place that sells stools?
Take care
Your Mowpa, Barb

Jules said...

Yes, I feel that being in a stool-free environment will be good for me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jules,

So proud of you for taking the first move out of that stool-warehouse!! I know you will be amazinf at your new job. I also think that you have started a ripple-effect and the only ones left to take calls will be Connie, Kimberely and Louise (all still waiting for a pay increase!!!!!) We will have to get together a ton more now and I will come and visit you at fairview all the time.

Jenn

Jules said...

I really hope you get out of there fast Jenn - you deserve so much better than that place, and it's so not worth the aggravation and frustration.