Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy 2006!

Sometimes expectations can be overwhelming. Sometimes you can put so much thought and care and anticipation into something, that it is doomed to become one of the biggest let-downs of your life. Or at the very least regrettable.

This year, we decided to do a quiet New Year's Eve. We bought lots of food, and wine, and we hunkered down in our living room, just the two of us, and watched the Sopranos. Then we watched the ball drop. We didn't eat the lobster and scallops we bought in the late afternoon (an hour and a half of running around like chickens with our heads cut off to try and get all our stuff bought before the stores closed), and we only drank one bottle of wine. We were in bed, snoring, by 12:30. But it was perfect in its own way. Our own, quiet time together. Not forcing anything, just being together.

This year has been really big. We spent some time over dinner tonight (yesterday's lobster and scallops - yum!) looking back over all the stuff we did this year.

- We took our first real vacation together. We went to Cuba and had an incredible time, and we're going back in a few weeks.

- We got engaged, which was an amazingly planned event masterminded by Sexy Boyfriend.

- We each had a sibling who graduated (my sister from high school, his brother from university).

- I quit my job.

- I went through a severe depression.

- I quit another job.

I'm starting 2006 with a great outlook on things. I think we both are, actually, but Sexy Boyfriend is usually more optomistic about things. I think we're in a really great place, where we've been through a lot together, we see how good our life is together, and we can't wait to make it even better. I'm excited to have a regular schedule, and to have our time together be more regular. I'm excited to have time to write. There is nothing but possibility. It feels so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jan 1 is pretty much my favorite day of any year, but this year i had a funny feeling that year 2006 is gonna be my favorite....mainly because i turn 19:)

-Sara