Thursday, April 13, 2006

How do you know you are seriously out of shape?

When trying on sports bras is a challenge.

Or maybe it's that difficult for everyone.

Yesterday I stopped in at Lululemon on my lunch break. I adore all of their stuff, and if I was more active I would own tons of it. But spending $100 on a full-zip, and $90 on matching yoga pants is not that economical considering how much I would wear them. However, investing in their sports bras is definitely wise, since they are fantastic, comfy, cute, and I wear a sports bra every day.

So, they had a bunch on sale, and the fun colors and styles were mesmerizing, and before I knew it there I was in the change room with four bras, plus the one I had on. I have to say that at least their fitting rooms are a decent size, so I wasn't bouncing off the walls, banging my elbows and ass as I flailed in and out of each one.

The very mechanics of the sports bra really blow my mind. Not only to squeeze a giant elastic band over your torso, but also to have the straps that you have to maneuver through. The straps seem easy enough when you are pulling the bra on, but when you are practically on your knees in the fitting room, trying to reach one arm behind your back to pull it off over your head while your other arm is sticking straight up in the air, and you are kneeling down so that people outside won't see your arm swinging around over the top of the door - that's when you realize that this task is not for the faint of heart. And why can't you just pull the bra over your head from the front, like a T-shirt? Well, because then the giant elastic band gets stuck like a yoke around your arms and head and then both of your arms are flailing around trying to grasp some piece of fabric to get this thing off.

After two bras, I was doing okay. The first one was the pirouette. It was easy enough, like a tank top. Then I tried on the Sunshine. Because of the sliding back straps, it was also reasonable. I should have known it was all too easy, and that I should quit while I was ahead, but noooooo, I had to try on this, and its evil cousin, this. Suddenly I was perspiring and pulling muscles I never knew existed. And then you don't want to emerge from the fitting room all flushed and damp, so you have to wait a few minutes half naked, fanning yourself with your T-shirt. Or something like that.

Needless to say, I did not purchase either of the Y-backs. I got two of the Sunshines, since they were on sale, and super comfy. Now I hope I don't have to buy anymore sports bras until I am actually in good enough shape to make it through the trying on process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha...thank you for putting that mental image in my head first thing in the morning. Now everytime i think about it today i will laugh.

-Sara

ps. I do the same thing when i try on bras, which is probably why I'm avoiding purchasing more even though mine are falling apart.