Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Big Thing

I think it's okay for me to talk about the Big Thing now.

We are thinking about buying the company that I work for. My bosses, who started the dog walking company, and who are sisters, are looking to sell and approached me to see if I was interested. One of them is moving back to Nova Scotia to start a family, and the other one would like to take the opportunity to try something new. The business is thriving, they are turning customers away because they are uncertain about the future and don't want to take on too much with everything kind of up in the air.

So, we've been going over some of their stuff, figuring out how we could work it logistically, what changes we could make, what it would take to expand, how much could we make from it, and whether it could actually just work. Everything is looking very good, and I think we're about ready to make an offer to them, but the whole thing is hung up because they signed on with a dodgy business broker who has them locked into some kind of contract which says they owe him a ton of money whether he finds them the buyer or not. I was putting off talking about the Big Thing because we were exploring ways that we could get around the dodgy broker, but it looks like the direct approach will be the best, and it also looks like legally the contract is a piece of crap, so finally I can get it off my chest and write about the Big Thing without being cryptic and tedious.

I really hope this works out. I love my job. I have never been happier, actually, in my entire adult life in any work I have ever done. Also, I think it is significant that one of my life's dreams has always been to run a doggie daycare, and this is as close as you can get without owning any property, I think. I feel really good about this, so good that it doesn't stress me out at all to think about it. I just feel like it will work out, and I haven't lost any sleep at all. When I think to myself "but how will we...." whatever the issue is, it's like the answers are just there, waiting for me, and I'm like "oh, of course that's how it will work." If any of that makes any sense.

Anyway, so that's what's happening, and it's all very exciting, and very big, but surprisingly not scary at all and I really hope it works out, and quickly, because I'm very excited and have tons of great ideas that I would love to get started on.

I feel like I just got the biggest stresser off my chest, which was holding it all in. Aaaahhhh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jules,

I wish you all the best. I hope it works out for you and SB. I know you will be amazing at it.

Jenn
xoxo

Jenn said...

Hi Jules, the other Jenn here. :)

WOOHOO! That sounds like an amazing opportunity, and it sounds like you can really make it into something your own. I can't really offer an advice, other than get rid of Dodgy Broker as soon as you can. :) Does the business have a webpage?

Good luck (though I know you won't need it!)

Jallápenno said...

hey! this is totally unrelated to this post, but I just have to tell you that there is a cartoon called "ebb and flo"
(http://www.ebbandflo.com/) that I watch sometimes with Kieran, and every time I visit your site, I get the song stuck in my head. It's not a great song, but it sticks!
That's all.

Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...

Oh this sounds so good! I hope it works out!!