Sunday, November 20, 2005

Weekend off!

I recently started taking a new medication which makes my head feel dizzy and spinny when I stand up, which consequently makes me want to heave. My tongue also feels quite numb. The pharmacist and the doctor both told me that I may experience these side effects, but that they will go away. It's been over a week and I still feel foggy-headed. Sexy Boyfriend laughed at me on Thursday morning - I called in sick, and he asked me why, and I told him my head felt empty.

Anyway, so after a week of barely dragging myself through each day, it is finally my weekend off. We spent a blissful Saturday on the sofa - ALL DAY. TOGETHER. We watched movies and read the Saturday Gazette, and Sexy Boyfriend did some work and I read a whole book and it was awesome. One day maybe I will have every weekend off.

I am very sad that I have to go in to work this evening for our holiday kick-off meeting. Very sad.

The book that I read yesterday was A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey. It was Oprah's bookclub choice last month, and I happened to catch that episode and people were raving and crying and saying how it deeply affected their lives. Then Costco had the book for $12, so I picked it up. I can't say that the book deeply affected my life. It didn't make me cry, it didn't really move me that much, actually. I think this owes a bit to Frey's writing style, which is pretty sparse and journalistic, so there were parts that could have been meatier for effect, but weren't. I can appreciate what he was going for, but I felt like some parts were missing something for me.

That being said, I couldn't put the book down. It was engaging and it was thoughtful, and it was beautiful and it was ugly.

Now I'm off to enjoy the last four hours of my weekend, which is being rudely cut short by this stupid meeting tonight. I'm so bitter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha I remember when mom took you're blood! If memory serves me correctly, it was pretty flippin' hillarious!

-Sara