Friday, October 21, 2005

10 Steps to Sick Day Success

I love sick days. Besides the whole being sick part, which if you are an expert in over-the-counter drugs, as I happen to be, doesn't really affect the whole sick day experience. Here is my step-by-step guide to making the most out of your sick day:

1. The night before, tape lots of TV shows or rent some movies. Daytime TV SUCKS for the most part, unless you are into soap operas, or are a three year old. There is nothing worse than being bored on a sick day, and books are just too much effort. I, for example, taped ER, Alias, and CSI last night.

2. Also the night before, it's important to take some NyQuil. This will knock you out and give you a good night's sleep, and chances are you won't wake up stuffy-headed. This morning I woke up with a bit of a sore throat, and a sinus headache, but my nose was not runny. Nothing ruins a day of laying around like a stuffy nose - that means you have to switch positions pretty often when one side of your nose gets plugged from laying on that side.

3. The first time you really wake up in the morning, you should get up, use the washroom, walk the dogs, and re-medicate. Whether you choose NyQuil, which will put you in a stupor for most of the rest of the day, or DayQuil, which does everything NyQuil does except knock you out, it's up to you. I find that DayQuil still makes me pretty whoozy, so if I have the opportunity, I usually take NyQuil when I'm off.

4. Drink lots of fluids. I find that any kind of medicine for colds leaves me dehydrated and pasty-mouthed. I like drinking orange juice, and sometimes gingerale (I know it's for upset stomachs, but it makes me think of being sick when I was little). If you have a sore throat, it's especially important to drink lots.

5. Unless you have to, try not to get out of bed. This is not possible for me, since my VCR is in the living room, so if I want to watch my taped shows, I have to move out there. Lying around on the sofa can sometimes give you cramped legs, or twisted back, especially when you have to share the sofa with one or more 65 lbs+ dogs.

6. Keep all remote controls and telephones as close as possible. For obvious reasons.

7. Try to watch any taped shows with the time-stamp display on. For example, I started watching CSI today, and the show started at 2:47 hours into the tape. Within the first five minutes, I fell asleep, but since I remembered when the show started, I was able to stop and rewind, instead of rewinding while watching the show, which could ruin things cause then you can see everything you missed, but in reverse. When I fell asleep again, like ten minutes later, and then every ten to 15 minutes, it came in handy.

8. Eat noodle soup. Not canned chicken noodle soup, or Chunky chicken noodle, the Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup that comes in packets and has those tiny noodles. You need to eat that soup when you are sick! It is best to scoop all the broth first, or scoop and dip bread in it, and then when it's all dried up, eat the noodles.

9. When you find yourself with another headache, re-medicate.

10. Make sure you have a duvet to snuggle into. I have a duvet on each bed (ours and the spare bed) and one for the sofa. None of those wimpy "throws" - a real-live king size down duvet. Anything else and you are cheating yourself.

No comments: