Saturday, October 08, 2005

Gobble Gobble Gobble

Tomorrow, I will spend the afternoon peeling, boiling, basting, mashing, basting, seasoning, and more basting. Yes, folks, Thanksgiving has arrived.

We were going to do Thanksgiving today, with Sexy Boyfriend's brother and his brother's girlfriend, but when he extended the invite, they already had plans. So, instead we went shopping (sigh!) and had takeout for dinner. This evening I have been planning my extensive menu and making sure I won't have to run out for anything. We bought an obscenely large turkey for a two-person feast, so chances are the doggies and Simon will be partaking in the festivities as well.

I have to say, I am quite proud of my turkey-roasting abilities. I have roasted several turkeys in my day, with the help of Martha. Her Perfect Roast Turkey and Perfect Turkey Gravy recipes are the secrets to my ability to throw a perfect holiday dinner for two to ten people. I even did Christmas dinner for my mother and sisters one year cause she had to work, and I was quite a hit. Or at least I think I was. Maybe they just didn't want to hurt my feelings.

Probably my favorite part about holiday dinners is the leftovers. This year could be record-breaking, so I've been pulling some recipes I can do with 8 tons of leftover turkey. We are also huge fans of the MoistMaker sandwich, as seen on Friends. It is a sandwich made of leftover turkey, and bread of course. But the secret is, you soak an extra slice of bread (preferably without the crusts) in gravy, and put that in the middle of the sandwich, so you have regular bread-turkey-gravy bread-turkey-regular bread. They are to die for, but you have to be careful not to soak too much gravy, or they become extremely messy. It's also especially good if your gravy is very flavorful, so Martha's gravy is perfect.

I will also be making mashed potatoes, East Coast style potato dressing (or at least I think it's East Coast style - I don't know anyone who doesn't come from the East Coast who makes it this way), sweet potato, squash, a sweet potato/squash combo puree, and we bought a pumpkin pie (hey, if I had to make everything from scratch, I'd have to get up at like 5 in the morning!)

I can't wait!!!

No comments: