Friday, October 07, 2005

A thing or two about my favorite vices

I have two major vices in my life - food, and shopping. When I am low, depressed, sad, sleepy, I turn to one of these two things. Sometimes it can go bad. (I go out and eat a QuarterPounder and fries, with Coke, or I got out and drop $100 on clothes I don't really need, or on gifts, or on shoes). Sometimes it goes much worse than bad. (I go out, try on clothes for hours and hours, maybe buy a pair of shoes or something, then get depressed because I'm unhappy with my body, then go out and indulge in foods I shouldn't).

I just get this feeling when I spend money - it's hard to explain. It makes me happy, almost giddy, and I can't wait to show everyone and anyone what I've purchased. When I buy people gifts, I can never wait until the day (Christmas, Birthday, etc) of the occasion - I want them to have it NOW. And I pester and pester until they give in and open it. And then, once they've opened it, I pester and pester to make sure they actually like it and aren't just trying to humor me. And once we've done that little dance, I get low again, and start to think of some other little surprise I could get them to open on the day itself.

Usually my good feeling lasts a week or so, then I need to go out and spend more, or have a big dinner out. Between outings, I will generally do my research, looking into things I would like to purchase, or restaurants I would like to visit (although, with the restaurant thing, we usually end up going to the same place everytime because we are not very adventurous). Every once in a while a purchase will be spur of the moment, though, and those are the best ones. The finds. The surprises.

I wish I could get a job as a personal shopper. Or a food critic. Or some old rich guy's mistress.

No comments: