Friday, September 02, 2005

Meet the Doggies

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have two doggies.

Gabby is my Baby Girl. I've had her since I was 15. I can't imagine being without her, even though she whines constantly (something about giving her too much attention as a puppy). But she doesn't have an attitude problem or anything. And she is extremely serious.
She is so loyal, and so sweet, and so funny. I can barely stand the thought that she is getting so old (she's 11).

The other dog is Charlie, or as I refer to him, the Mean One. We got Charlie from the SPCA when he was six. The first time I met him, he was so cute, and quiet with his big ears and big eyes. This picture best exhibits how Charlie used his wiles to lure me in:


So, I went home and told Sexy Boyfriend "I saw the cutest doggie at the SPCA today, and I think we should get him cause his profile says he's not good with children, and we don't have children, and he deserves chance." First, Sexy Boyfriend said "What the hell were you doing at the SPCA?" Then he said "Does he bark a lot?" I said "No, the whole time I was there that doggie didn't even bark once. He must be a mute or something."

We returned to the SPCA, and upon entering the building, heard a bone-chilling howling. It turned out to be Charlie. But, upon walking him, and introducing him to Gabby, we decided to give him a chance. We paid our hundred bucks and brought him home.

And this is when Charlie turned into psycho mean dog from Hell.

For the first week or so we had to feed him with oven mitts on. He kept growling at Gabby and trying to bite her if she went near him. He didn't like the cat either, and still doesn't. But, the rest of the stuff came with time. Except for the fact that this dog HATES ME.

He loves Sexy Boyfriend, and cuddles with him, and lets him bathe him, and clip his nails, and tussle around. But if I don't have food in my hands, he usually growls at me. Especially if he is around food, or Sexy Boyfriend.

I do not like when I get growled at when I walk into the kitchen. I do not like getting growled at when I get into my side of the bed, even though Charlie is on the other side of the bed and Sexy Boyfriend is between us. I find it funny when Charlie walks past the kitchen chairs and my kitty attacks him from above and he runs like a little girl cause he can't figure out what's going on. I often joke that I would like to trade Charlie in for a baby kitty.

Until three weeks ago when I thought Charlie was having a stroke. He was dragging around his back legs, and when I got up to see if he was okay, his front legs gave out and he started shaking. I called Sexy Boyfriend, crying, telling him to come home quick cause something was really wrong with Charlie. I rubbed his head and cooed "It's okay Charlie, please don't die." Five minutes later, he stood up and went into the kitchen for a drink of water like normal. Apparently, it's a condition that can happen to older dogs, and has to do with their inner ear/balance system. It looks like a stroke or a seizure, but there is rarely any damage, and it usually only happens the one time.

I think this whole thing was a ruse on Charlie's part. He's trying to make me his bitch. He's like "Ya, you pretend to hate me, but really you want me to stick around."

Maybe I don't want him dead, but I would still trade him for a baby kitty. Probably.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie

I just love your doggie stories!
Barb

Anonymous said...

Hey Jules,

I am so sorry to hear that happened to Charlie. My dog had seizures when he got older. We had to put him on medication. Poor Charlie, maybe he is trying to lay the guilt on!!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Charlie tried to eat me once!! It was quite an episode!
Also, Gabby loves me and I love her. Please tell her i say hi!

-Sara